Wednesday 8 June 2011

Guest Blog: Twitter: Relationship Heaven or Relationship Hell

This is my first blog. I am not a very confident writer, so I hope you all like it, if so I will blog again, if Liam allows.

For those of you who know me, you'll know all about my somewhat up and down relationship status.  Twitter is perhaps having an effect on this.  I wanted to write this blog about the effects on love that twitter clearly has.  My boyf does not read this, or use twitter. 
Before joining the twitterverse, I, like most people, who are not on twitter, could not see the point.  Why would someone want to write 140 characters.  However, I was wrong and quickly became addicted I started to build up those people who I now follow.  Weirdly I guess I start to like these people, whom I don’t really know and develop what can only be called a #twittercrush on some of them.  This cannot be a good thing – surely?

So, to the point.  I think that #twittercrush can cause relationship hell.  I see hot blokes everyday when I drive down the street or in the gym.  I don’t want to sleep with them, but I wouldn’t mind seeing them with their tops off.  If I asked them for this, I’d probably get punched, I would laugh if someone wanted to see me semi naked.  On twitter this rule doesn’t apply.  We all know of people on twitter who rarely wear much.  Good for those men, I encourage their confidence.  I flirt, tell people they are hot, play #hottieornottie and naturally start to want those bodies for myself (sometimes even the heads attached to them to be my real friends).  I encourage people to show me their chests and flirt.  Is making me want more than my bf?  He isn’t necessarily right for me, but am I becoming unrealistic as to what I really want and should be looking for?  Is twitter giving me unrealistic expectations and really not helping my already problematic body dimorphic image of myself.

Some couples are both on twitter, some probably open and flirty and some just because they like it and some of the attention (come on guys I love attention too) or perhaps because they enjoy twitter. It is so nice to see couples, who are completely in love, although a little sickening reading them chat to each other about what always appears the perfect life.  It can also create that #crushfail when you realise that the 2 blokes you’ve been chatting up are actually together.  I want their relationships, the laughs that they share with everyone else.  Don’t get me wrong, I do not want them or want to be them, I am just jealous of what it always appears that they have. 

Please don’t think I’m stupid, I’m not, I have a brain, a lot of friends and good emotional intelligence.  I know that all relationships are not what they seem.  I just wish that I would be stronger at not believing that they are just “perfect” and never doubt themselves.  I guess it is just a case of expecting perfection which just does not exist. 

For those people who live in genuine #relationshipheaven I am truly pleased for you.  For those of you who are genuinely in #relationshiphell but pretending I feel your pain.  Twitter is a place for fun and building up a #twittercrush, but in my opinion it cannot be a place where you can honestly judge the state of your relationship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment